COMPUTER AND INTERNET POLICY
"Acceptable Use Policy"
Massey High School maintains an educational computer network providing access to educational resources for both students and teachers in support of their work and studies undertaken in the classroom.
Through its fibre link the Massey High School network provides connections to thousands of computers throughout the world. Collectively this inter-connected network of computers is referred to as the "lnternet". This fibre link connection to the Internet enables teachers and students to access information from around the world and bring it to their school computer via this electronic highway.
Access to computers and people all over the world creates the potential for exposure to material that may be harmful and/or of no educational value. The global nature of the Internet makes it impossible to control access to all available material, and a user may discover controversial information. Massey High School firmly believes that the valuable information and interaction available on the Internet far outweighs the possibility that users may access or obtain material that is not consistent with the desired learning outcomes sought at Massey High School.
In this regard, Massey High School expects all its staff and students to be responsible users of its computer network. Access to Massey High School’s network and the Internet is a privilege and not a right and it is made available only so long as the users abide by the Acceptable Use Policy. Inappropriate use will lead to suspension of user privileges.
By signing the attached registration form, Massey High School network users agree to abide by the terms and conditions of use, set down by Massey High School, as outlined in this document.
Information for Parents/Guardians and students:
1. All requests for pages from the World Wide Web are passed through the School’s built-in filters that block requests for unacceptable material.
2. All web accesses are monitored and filters are updated as required.
3. Student activity is monitored by the Massey High School network administration staff.
4. Any students caught breaking the attached Terms and Conditions are given one warning.
5. Repeat offenders are processed by the school’s discipline policy and their network access is suspended indefinitely.
Note: Before reading the Terms & Conditions on this page parents/guardians and students need to be aware that student use of the computers and the school’s network is to be solely for "educational" purposes that are relevant to Massey High School’s curriculum and courses. All Terms & Conditions should be interpreted in this context.
Terms and Conditions:
1. It is forbidden to swear, use vulgar or any other inappropriate language when writing or replying to email. All e-mail is monitored.
2. It is forbidden to disclose (by any means) personal addresses or phone numbers of students, teachers, administrators, or other staff of Massey High School.
3. It is forbidden to disclose (by any means) passwords of students, teachers, administrators, or other staff of Massey High School (including your own).
4. Messages relating to or in support of illegal activities will be reported to the school administration and appropriate action taken.
5. It is forbidden to use the network in such a way that would disrupt or compromise the use of the network by others (e.g. use of software and student devices).
6. Student subscriptions to electronic mailing lists are not allowed without permission from Massey High School’s network administrators.
7. Students are not permitted to access any of the chat rooms on any Internet site unless they are under the direct instruction of a staff member to do so.
8. Students are not allowed to view, download, receive, or send via the World Wide Web or email any material which is of inappropriate content for Massey High School.
9. The playing of networked games via the Internet is prohibited.
10. Users shall not intentionally seek information on, obtain copies of, or modify files, other data, or passwords belonging to other users, or misrepresent other users on the network.
11. Students are requested to report any objectionable material they come across so that it can be blocked.
12. Attempts to gain unauthorised access to systems, computer equipment or the internet will result in suspension or cancellation of user privileges.
13. Any user identified as a security risk or having a history of problems with other computer systems may be denied access to school computers.
14. Vandalism of computer hardware and/or software will result in cancellation of access privileges as well as other sanctions cited in the School Rules. Vandalism is defined (for the purposes of this document) as any malicious attempt to harm, modify, or destroy computer hardware, software and/or the data of another network user.
15. All communications and information accessible via the network should be assumed to be private property (that is copyrighted).
16. Information (including text, graphics, video, etc.) from Internet sources used in student work should be cited the same as references to printed materials used by the author.
17. From time to time, Massey High School network administrators will make determinations on whether specific uses of the network are consistent with the acceptable use practice.
18. Students are prohibited from interfering with the configuration and settings of any networked computer.
Massey High School will not be responsible for any damages suffered. This includes loss of data resulting from delays, non-deliveries, or service interruptions caused by its own negligence or your errors or omissions. Massey High School denies any responsibility for the accuracy or quality of information obtained through Massey High School’s network and the Internet.